5 Star Recipes
Dressings, Marinades, Sauces
Jam & Jelly
Quick And Easy
Recipes For Kids
Cookies & Bars
Crisps, Cobblers, Crumbles
Frosting, Glazes, Syrup
Pies & Tarts
Pudding, Mousse, Souffles
Fans of the lovable, cookie-obsessed Sesame Street character will be clamoring chanting "Me Want Cookie!" when they see this fun edible craft. This recipe is quick, easy and double the fun with two brownie cookies filled with buttercream icing, topped with candy eyes.
This recipe works well for our littlest chefs because if it turns out a little messy or uneven, it just makes it even more like the real Cookie Monster. Perfect for sweet and not scary Halloween party or for a Sesame Street birthday party. This recipe makes 12 sandwich cookies.
- 24 candy eyes
- 1 3/4 cups flour (spoon & sweep method)
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 6 to 8 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioner's Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add egg, milk, and vanilla. Slowly add dry ingredients.
- Drop batter by heaping tablespoon onto the prepared baking sheets, 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. The cookies will be set, but still soft. Cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- After cookies have cooled, spread buttercream icing on one cookie and top with another cookie to make a “sandwich”.
- Spoon buttercream frosting in a pastry bag and use a star tip to adhere the two candy eyes. If you don't have a pastry bag, a gallon-sized plastic bag with a hole cut into the corner works just as well.
This delicious homemade vanilla buttercream frosting is easy to make. Its smooth and creamy texture is perfect for spreading and decorating. Chocolate, cinnamon and other flavor recipe options allow for simple variations.
Love coupons, delicious recipes and contests? Register for Imperial Sugar's Sweet Community newsletter and gain insider only access. Be the first to know; sign up today!
Sign up today for our free newsletter. Get exclusive recipes and coupons!
- Share Your Recipe
- Tips for Baking & Cooking With Sugar
- My Recipe Box
- New Recipes
- 5 Star Recipes
- Search Kids in the Kitchen Recipes
- My First Cookbooks
- Cubie & Cubette's Cooking Club
- Fun Kid’s Projects