5 Star Recipes
Dressings, Marinades, Sauces
Jam & Jelly
Quick And Easy
Recipes For Kids
Cookies & Bars
Crisps, Cobblers, Crumbles
Frosting, Glazes, Syrup
Pies & Tarts
Pudding, Mousse, Souffles
All eyes will be on this spooky Halloween cake at your next Halloween party. This cake looks cute and adorable from the outside, then when you cut it open, there's a bloodshot monster eye ball staring back a you. Boo! Your party guests won't believe their eyes. (Yes, that's really bad pun...)
At first glance this cake may seem difficult to put together, but it is actually very simple. We've even created a step-by-step video to show exact how it is done. This Monster Eye Cake does take a little while, but all of the steps are easy. Using a firmer cake and freezing the cake before cutting makes cleaner cuts and sharper lines when you put it all together.
Once the cake is done, just frost and decorate with two sizes of chocolate sandwich cookies. This eye-catching dessert is sure to be a hit with ghosts and goblins of all ages.
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter
- 3 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup red sprinkles
- Black gel food coloring
- Green gel food coloring
- Blue gel food coloring
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners’ Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- Orange gel food coloring
- 12 chocolate sandwich cookies
- 12 mini chocolate sandwich cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a jelly roll (15 ½-inch by 10 ½-inch) pan with parchment paper.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Cream together butter, sugar, and vanilla in a stand mixer until light and fluffy, about 8 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time until well incorporated, scraping as needed.
- Add 1/3 dry ingredients, when incorporated add half of the milk. Repeat until all ingredients are used. Scrape the bottom of the bowl to make sure everything is incorporated.
- Divide batter in half. Cover half with plastic wrap and keep in fridge. With other half, divide into three bowls. Add sprinkles to one and stir to combine. Tint one batter green and the other black.
- Pour the red sprinkle batter into half of the sheet pan. With the other half, divide the space between the green cake batter and the black cake batter. Spread evenly as possible, being careful to not mix the colors. (We've made the batter extra thick to keep the colors from running together.)
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely, turn out and remove parchment paper. Freeze cake for 15 minutes.
- Using a 2-inch round cookie cutter, cut circles in the red sprinkle section of the cake. Do the same with a 1-inch cookie cutter in the green section of the cake, and a 1/2-inch cookie cutter in the black section of the cake. Cut as many circles as will fit. Freeze all pieces for 15 minutes.
- Cut a 1-inch hole out of the center of the red sprinkle cake rounds. Place the green cake round inside the red sprinkle cake round, then cut out the center of the green and place a black cake round inside.
- Freeze until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Spray a bundt cake pan generously with baking spray. Let reserved cake batter sit on counter for 20 minutes. Tint with blue gel.
- Spread 1/4 of the cake batter into the bottom of the pan. Stand eyes up into the batter and arrange in a circle. Carefully pour the rest of the batter over the eyes, making sure to get batter around cut outs.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes, then turn out and cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the buttercream, cream the butter until light and fluffy about 3 minutes. Gradually add half of the powdered sugar. Add the vanilla and a pinch of salt. Add the remaining sugar and beat for 5 minutes.
Yield: 10-12 servings
Prep: 1 hour
Bake: 45 -55 minutes
Sign up today for our free newsletter. Get exclusive recipes and coupons!
- Share Your Recipe
- Tips for Baking & Cooking With Sugar
- My Recipe Box
- New Recipes
- 5 Star Recipes
- Search Kids in the Kitchen Recipes
- My First Cookbooks
- Cubie & Cubette's Cooking Club
- Fun Kid’s Projects