5 Star Recipes
Dressings, Marinades, Sauces
Jam & Jelly
Quick And Easy
Recipes For Kids
Cookies & Bars
Crisps, Cobblers, Crumbles
Frosting, Glazes, Syrup
Pies & Tarts
Pudding, Mousse, Souffles
This is the perfect project for budding scientists. Rock sugar crystals grow over a period of a week and kids can watch the crystals form right in front of their eyes. Rock candy makes a unique party favor or gift. Sweet!
Supplies for making 15 rock candy suckers:
- 6 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 cups water
- Food coloring if desired
- Bamboo skewers
- Stir sugar and water and bring to a full boil. Add food coloring if desired. Remove from heat and using a ladle, remove about 1/2 cup of syrup and pour carefully in a coffee mug. (This small amount will quickly cool and will be needed to prepare the skewers).
- Cover large amount of syrup with plastic food wrap and leave undisturbed until completely cold. This will take at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Once syrup in coffee mug has cooled, dip about 15 bamboo skewers one inch deep into syrup and roll dipped part in granulated sugar. Place on a plastic food wrap lined cookie sheet and allow to dry for one day.
- Stick non-sugared end of bamboo skewers about 1 inch apart in a piece of styrofoam. Turn styrofoam piece upside down and place above pan containing sugar syrup. The sugar coated end of skewers should now be into syrup. (Adjust height of styrofoam piece by sticking skewers in side and resting on edge of the pan)
- Place in an area where crystals can grow without having to move container. (Moving will make crystals grow on sides of the pan). Allow about 7 days for crystals to grow.
- Remove skewers from syrup and allow to dry for one day.
- Properly wrapped rock candy will last for at least a year. The remaining syrup can be reused for another batch of rock candy.
Home bakers have trusted Imperial Sugar since 1843. We’re happy to share these coupons with you.
Sign up today for our free newsletter. Get exclusive recipes and coupons!
- Share Your Recipe
- Tips for Baking & Cooking With Sugar
- My Recipe Box
- New Recipes
- 5 Star Recipes
- Kid’s in the Kitchen Search Results
- Search Kid’s in the Kitchen Recipes
- My First Cookbooks
- Fun Kid’s Projects