5 Star Recipes
Dressings, Marinades, Sauces
Jam & Jelly
Quick And Easy
Recipes For Kids
Cookies & Bars
Crisps, Cobblers, Crumbles
Frosting, Glazes, Syrup
Pies & Tarts
Pudding, Mousse, Souffles
It's easy to create your own bracelets with our classic salt dough recipe. We created a red and white version with hearts that would work equally well for Valentine's Day or Mother's Day, but you could do any color and shape you wish.
Some ideas include:
- Create a rainbow of colors and wear them stacked
- Design matching versions and give them out as friendship bracelets
- Use a longer string or rope and design a matching necklace and bracelet set
- Enlist the help of our smallest fans and use this craft as a counting and sorting lesson
- 2 cups salt
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1 cup cornstarch
- Tin foil covered baking sheet
- Red food coloring
- Skewer or pointed clay tool
- Cord, string or ribbon
- Stir salt into 1/2 cup of water in a medium saucepan.
- Cook over medium-low heat until hot.
- Remove from heat.
- Mix the remaining 1/2 cup of water with the cornstarch until smooth in a bowl.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the salt mixture.
- Return the saucepan to the stove and cook, stirring constantly over medium-low heat until the mixture thickens into the consistency of stiff mashed potatoes.
- Turn mixture out onto a glass plate and cover with a damp towel.
- Allow to cool, then separate into 2 batches. Add a couple of drops of red food coloring to one batch. Add color until you reach the desired hue.
- With both batches, knead and roll the dough out to about 1/4" to 1/2" thick. With mini cookie or fondue cutters, cut out small hearts.
- Roll out small balls of dough into beads.
- Poke holes through the beads and hearts with a sharp skewer or clay tool.
- Bake on a tin foil lined cookie sheet at 350 degrees for approximately 2 hours.
- When cool, string the hearts and beads onto a cord or ribbon.
Home bakers have trusted Imperial Sugar since 1843. We’re happy to share these coupons with you.
Sign up today for our free newsletter. Get exclusive recipes and coupons!
- Share Your Recipe
- Tips for Baking & Cooking With Sugar
- My Recipe Box
- New Recipes
- 5 Star Recipes
- Search Kids in the Kitchen Recipes
- My First Cookbooks
- Cubie & Cubette's Cooking Club
- Fun Kid’s Projects