- Enough to make your coffee sweet, sweet, sweet! Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Authentic cuban coffee, such as Bustelo brand
- Optional: steamed milk for Cafe con Leche
The authentic way to make Cuban Coffee is with a stovetop espresso pot, such as pictured here. Cuban coffee is served in demitasse cups because of its strength. You can also use espresso cups which are slightly larger.
Below are the instructions for using a stovetop pot:
- Fill bottom container with water below seal. The amount of water depends on size of pot that you have purchased.
- Put ground coffee (Bustelo is a very popular brand that you can buy online or in specialty grocery stores) in middle portion of pot and tap down and then add a little bit more. The amount depends on size of your coffee pot.
- Screw top of coffee pot on to base.
- Turn on a burner to medium to low heat an place pot on stove.
- In about five minutes you will begin to hear sputtering sounds coming from pot. That is when you know coffee is ready, so turn off your burner.
- Put your granulated sugar into your cup first – 1 teaspoon per demitasse or to taste, and pour your coffee over sugar to melt it.
- Enjoy rich flavor of Cuba.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
For Café con Leche, simply use 2 parts Cuban Coffee to 1 part steamed milk.
You can also use an espresso machine instead of a stovetop coffee pot. Just follow the instructions.