- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/3 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) salted butter, frozen
- 1/2 cup chopped candied orange peel
- 6 ounces plain greek yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a medium bowl sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Grate butter into flour mixture using the large holes on the grater. Use your fingers or a pastry cutter to work butter into the flour until it resembles course meal.
- Stir in candied orange peel.
- In a small bowl whisk together yogurt, egg, and orange zest. Add to flour mixture. Use a fork to stir it until dough clumps form. Continue to press dough together with your hands.
- Place on a lightly floured surface, press into a 7 to 8 inch circle, and cut into 8 triangles. Sprinkle with more sugar, if desired. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 15-17 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
NOTE: To make mini scones, divide dough into two equal portions before pressing into two circles. Cut into 6 triangles each (12 total.) Bake for 12-14 minutes.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Susan Whetzel @doughmesstic