Bread and Butter Pickles
Prep time :
3:30 to 4:00
Bake/Cook time :
- 4 quarts thinly sliced small to medium cucumbers
- 8 large white onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 quarts crushed or cracked ice
- 5 cups apple cider vinegar
- 5 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon pickling salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- In a large bowl, mix sliced cucumber and onion. Sprinkle 1/2 cup salt over the top and then top everything with ice. Cover with a lid or plate, put a weight on top and let the mixture sit for 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Drain and rinse well with cold water.
- Put onion and cucumbers into a large pot. Add remaining ingredients, stirring often and bring mixture just to a boil. (Don’t let it continue to boil.)
- Pack mixture into hot, sterilized jars leaving a 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and wipe jar rims. Adjust lids and process for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath with at least one inch of boiling water over the tops of the jars. Let jars cool on counter until room temperature.
- After processing and cooling, jars should be stored four to five weeks to develop their strongest bread and butter flavor.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: Nicole Bird :: Stanley :: cheflaura :: Mary d :: vera c :: chefjina :: Diana F :: Alisha Johnson :: peggy hartman :: Christine S :: Maiah A :: Ruby Marzek :: Mardu :: Kirsten P :: Kathleen :: Marnita :: kerrysave :: Chef Jeff :: Becky :: Sandra L W