Homemade Tomato Ketchup
Prep time :
0:30 to 4:00
Bake/Cook time :
1:00 to 2:00
- 2 quarts fresh or canned tomatoes
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 3 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- Pour tomatoes, onion, salt, and sugar in a large pot and bring to a boil. Let mixture cook, bubbling, until thick over low/medium heat (about 1-2 hours). Remove from heat and strain out the onions and any tomato skins.
- Put mixture back on heat and add spices and vinegar. Cook mixture down until thickened and most of the liquid is gone.
- Pour into a container, let mixture cool for about 30 minutes, and then seal and place in fridge.
- If you’d like to can/preserve the ketchup, pour into hot, sterilized jars (leaving 1/2 inch headspace) and cook in a hot water bath for 15 minutes.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: both Patt Everest andChefpatt :: Eydie D :: Pearl E Sinclair :: phleshia :: Michael :: cindy s :: Teresa O :: Brandy S :: Teresa C :: Kathy B :: LSolis :: Penny M :: Cab1213 :: BethMendo1991 :: Krispycream107 :: Pamela Parsons :: Leg of lamb :: lexijar :: alisha m :: len halili