- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold
- 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest - no white part
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, sifted
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- For easy removal of baked lemon bars, tightly line a 9 x 13 x 2 inch pan with parchment paper. If no parchment paper is used, buttering pan is necessary.
- Cut cold butter in small pieces and rub into flour and powdered sugar until dough forms. If desired, pulse these ingredients in a food processor until dough forms.
- Press dough evenly onto the bottom and 3/4 inch up the sides of pan. Dip your fingers into flour if dough is too sticky or place pan in freezer for several minutes.
- Place in oven for 20 minutes or light golden brown.
- Meanwhile in a bowl beat eggs and add lemon zest, lemon juice and sugar. Whisk well. Add remaining ingredients.
- Pour lemon filling into hot crust and return to oven for approximately 25-30 minutes or until center no longer trembles.
- Let cool. Best cutting results are obtained if lemon bars are frozen. Cut around sides and cut into squares.