- Oil to fill bottom of kettle
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 celery stick chopped
- 1 pound ground beef, ground pork (in equal portions) or 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 or 5 leaves of fresh basil
- 1 can (16 ounces) tomato paste
- 5 cans (32 ounces): (2) tomato sauce (2) tomato puree and (10 whole tomatoes chopped)
- 8 ounce glass Chianti wine (Wouldn’t hurt either, if you don’t add to sauce, JUST drink it while you cook)
- Put all seasoning except bay leaf in kettle with oil. Add meat and simmer, but don’t let brown, then add 1/2 cup good quality red wine, simmer. Add tomato paste, mix and then add tomato sauce, puree and tomatoes, put the bay leaf last.
- Simmer on medium or below for 4-6 hours. I make extra so I can bag up enough to freeze for later. Since you’ve popped the cork on the wine, finish it while the sauce is cooking. If you’ve made meatballs and steak rolls, now’s the time to add them to the sauce. Always use Italian brand pasta. This is the way she taught me when I lived in Italy!
This Italian Pasta Sauce recipe has been submitted by one of our Imperial Sugar friends and has not been tested in our kitchen. If you have any problems with this recipe, or would like to give us your feedback, please email us by clicking here.