Classic Red Wine Braised Brisket
Prep time :
Bake/Cook time :
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 flat-cut brisket (4-5 lb), trimmed to leave ½ inch fat, brought to room temperature for 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 2 celery stalks, large diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and large diced
- 1 medium onion, large diced
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 3 cups hearty red wine
- 1/2 cup, packed Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Parsley for garnish
- Season brisket liberally with salt, pepper and dried thyme on both sides.
- Heat grapeseed oil in a large, heavy bottomed pot or dutch oven over high heat. Carefully place brisket in, fat side down. Brown without moving for five minutes. Then turn over and brown another three minutes. Meat should have a nice brown color.
- Remove brisket and place on a plate. Reduce heat to medium and add in celery, carrots, onion and garlic. Sauté while stirring until golden, about 5 minutes. Make sure to scrape up any pieces stuck on the bottom.
- Then add in tomato paste and cook while stirring until browned.
- Add brisket back in. Then pour over red wine, light brown sugar, red wine vinegar and chicken stock. Meat should not be fully covered. Bring to a simmer, then cover and lower to medium low.
- Braise until brisket is very tender but not falling about, about four hours. When brisket is ready, you can let meat cool in sauce and refrigerate until the next day. When ready to serve, heat brisket back up, and remove fat side up. Strain braising liquid into a large bowl to remove pieces. Return the liquid to the pot and bring to a simmer. Reduce to ¼ the amount and let cool slightly. Sauce should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Let brisket rest for 20 minutes covered in foil, slice against the grain and serve with sauce.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Amy Kritzer @whatjewwannaeat.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: Shelby G :: bradley v :: MyMiMi :: Susan Butler :: Melissa Gonzalez :: Keemeh :: DerbyNurse :: Krista :: maria g :: Sunita :: Misha M :: Laura :: Jenni R :: Donna B :: Mama Grimm :: Chef Ati :: Lindap P :: Candie :: Karen B :: Lori P