2 hours rise time
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 3 - 4 cups bread flour*
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 package, or 2 1/2 teaspoons yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced fine
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, diced fine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can tomato sauce, 8 ounces
- 1 can diced tomatoes, 15 ounces
- 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon grainy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup shredded provolone
- Optional: 1/3 cup diced green onions
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- For the Crust: Combine warm water, yeast, honey, salt, onion and garlic powder in your stand mixer.
- Mix until yeast dissolves. Add olive oil. Turn mixer to low and add flour until dough starts to pull away from bowl. Knead for about 10 minutes. Dough should be sticky and smooth.
- Grease a large metal bowl with olive oil. Form dough into a ball and transfer to bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and a towel. Let rise about 2 hours in a warm place, or until dough doubles in size.
- Punch down, form into a disc and place into a large greased deep dish pizza pan. Place dough in a warm place and let rise again.
- When dough has risen again, press it down lightly and outward so that it fills the pan.
- For the Sloppy Joes: While oven is preheating, combine ground beef, onion, carrots, green bell pepper, garlic, salt and pepper in a large skillet. Brown meat and cook vegetables until tender over medium heat.
- Add tomato sauce, sugar, mustard, steak sauce, basil and oregano. Stir well and bring to a boil. Turn to simmer, and continue to cook for 15 - 20 minutes or until sauce is very thick.
- While sauce is simmering, pre-bake pizza crust in oven set at at 450° until crust is lightly golden, about 10 minutes. Remove crust from oven.
- Top crust with ground beef mixture. Top with shredded cheese and return to oven to bake until cheese has melted, about 10 minutes.
- Remove pizza when done and garnish with green onions and Italian parsley.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Angie McGowan Eclectic Recipes.