Sweet Potato Black Bean Burgers
Prep time :
Bake/Cook time :
Refrigerate 30 minutes
- 1 pound (2 medium) sweet potatoes
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 3 teaspoons Sriracha
- 2 teaspoons Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pierce sweet potatoes with a fork and microwave for 10-12 minutes until cooked through, rotating every few minutes. Cut potatoes in half and allow them to cool.
- While potatoes cook and cool, add black beans to a large bowl and mash with a pastry cutter or two forks. Add onion, garlic, cilantro, ketchup, Sriracha, paprika, cumin, pepper and salt and mix well.
- Scoop flesh out of potato skins and add to black bean mixture and mix well. Add egg and panko and mix until fully combined. You may need more or less panko than listed depending on humidity, amount of moisture in potatoes, beans, etc. Start with 1/2 cup and add more as needed.
- Scoop mixture (around 1/2 cup) out and shape them into a patty. Place onto a cookie sheet and refrigerate patties for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large non–stick skillet over medium heat. Add patties (don’t crowd them, cook in two batches if you need to) and cook on each side for 7-8 minutes until golden brown. Flip the patties and cook for an additional 6-7 minutes until browned and heated through, adding more oil if needed.
- Serve with buns, mayonnaise, tomato slices, avocado slices and cheese if desired.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Cassie Laemmli @Bake Your Day.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: sharon1744 :: pudgeyfudgey :: v :: Tracy J :: Kelly :: Robert :: Karen Walsh :: Karen S :: cynthia :: Angie :: Kirkland B :: MsPeppie :: gris :: theresa :: taras615 :: Jeff Lulf :: Angela S :: Karen T :: Abigail :: Pat C