Prep time :
Bake/Cook time :
8 half pints
- 6 cups peeled, pitted, and finely chopped peaches (about 6 pounds)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 7 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 6 ounces liquid pectin
- Combine peaches and water in a large (about 8-quart) saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce to medium-low heat and simmer for about five minutes. Remove from heat and skim off any foam with a stainless-steel spoon. Cover and allow to stand for about 20 minutes.
- Strain peach juice through a fine mesh sieve over a large bowl. Discard any pulp. Line sieve with two layers of cheesecloth and strain juice two times. Refrigerate if not using immediately.
- Measure peach juice. You’ll need 3 1/2 cups of juice. If you don’t have enough peach juice, you can add up to 1/2 cup of water to peach juice to get correct amount.
- Combine peaches, pectin and lemon juice in a large saucepot. Bring to a boil, stirring gently. Add sugar, stirring until dissolved. Return to a rolling boil. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary with a stainless-steel spoon.
- Ladle hot preserves into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Adjust two-piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
This recipe first appeared in the So You Are Canning cookbook, originally published in 1949.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: CMetz :: drp :: Jennifer R :: Jennifer S :: DebMoreland :: Mel M :: StarH :: gfd :: Mimi :: Leah B :: Linda C :: Lisaf :: Yolanda L :: Imperial Sugar :: Serenity0824 :: Rhiannon R :: miss journal :: Tamara D :: Jjga :: Carol