Turtle Rice Krispies® Treats
Prep time :
Bake/Cook time :
- Homemade Caramels
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 bag (16 oz) mini marshmallows
- 12 oz (1 box) Rice Krispies® Cereal
- 2 heaping cups pretzels
- 2 (12 oz) bags of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Grease a 9x13 pan with butter, set aside.
- In a heavy bottomed pot, such as enameled cast iron, combine all caramel ingredients except for the extract. Bring to a boil and stir until sugars are dissolved and the mixture is well combined. Using a candy thermometer, watch for 230°F. Allow to boil at this temp for several minutes, until candy begins to climb over 235°F. Stir continuously. Remove from heat and stir in the extract. Allow to cool while making Rice Krispies® treats.
- In a large non-stick pan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Once melted add marshmallows, stirring until marshmallows melt completely. Remove from heat and quickly fold in rice krispies and pretzels.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan and spread evenly using a buttered spatula. Pour caramel over Rice Krispies. (If caramel has thickened too much too pour, just reheat it a little and it will soften again into a pourable consistency.)
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, microwave chocolate chips for 1 minute and stir. If not completely melted, microwave in 15 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until smooth. Pour chocolate over caramel layer and smooth the top.
- Allow to cool until chocolate has hardened. You can speed up this process by cooling them in the refrigerator. When cooled, cut into squares and serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to a week.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: surfergirl55 :: Dawn J :: tammy :: Liz Alaniz :: Ana O :: Lupe :: charrr00 :: CaseySeay :: Joanie :: CookiesNMilk :: Sarah Struck :: Elaine G :: Chez Geneviève :: Speed :: annette r :: Deb B :: Das :: DEBRA H :: Angeline P :: trisha2774