Stand time 1 hour
- 1 pound pink beans
- 10 cups COLD water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6-7 bacon slices (I use turkey bacon)
- 1 medium size onion chopped, 1/2 cup total
- 1 celery stalk chopped, 1/2 cup total
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup tomato puree (depending on your preference)
- 1/4 cup chili sauce (can use less or more depending on taste)
- 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt (I use tsp but you can use tbsp if you prefer)
- 1/2 tablespoon ground pepper, black
- 1 can (4 oz) diced chilies
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard Mexican seasoning spices, to your taste
- Chile powder to taste
** I have also used with this ground turkey and very occasionally for a different flair diced pineapple about 1 cup**
- Cover beans with water after rinsing. Bring first 2 ingredients to boil, simmer 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour (or just soak beans overnight, in water/salt mixture above) add 1/2 teaspoon salt cover and simmer 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Drain reserving 3 1/2 cup of liquid.
- In a skillet, cook diced bacon until browned,drain excess fat. Add onion, celery and garlic.
- Cook vegetables 10 min or until tender. Add tomato puree, chili sauce, sugar, dry mustard, vinegar and spices. Stir until dissolved. Bring to boil, stir vegetable mixture into beans simmer uncovered 45 minutes or until beans are tender stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with avocado, white yogurt or sour cream.
This California Sunset Beans recipe has been submitted by one of our Imperial Sugar friends and has not been tested in our kitchen. If you have any problems with this recipe, or would like to give us your feedback, please email us by clicking here.