Sweet Corn Hushpuppies
Prep time :
Bake/Cook time :
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising yellow corn meal
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sweet corn, drained
- 3 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cups buttermilk
- Oil for deep frying
- Bring oil temperature to 350°F. Watch closely to maintain temperature.
- Combine all but egg & buttermilk in a mixing bowl.
- Beat egg before adding it to dry ingredients. Add egg to dry mixture, along with about half of buttermilk; stir to combine. The batter should be thick.
- Little by little add more buttermilk until you have consistency of a wet bread dough. You may not need entire amount of buttermilk.
- Allow batter to sit for 10 minutes before using. You will see it rising in bowl. Spoon batter into hot oil a teaspoon at a time.
- Fry hushpuppies until golden, making sure to stir them so that they cook on both sides. Remove when finished and place on paper towel lined plate. Keep in warm oven until all hushpuppies have been fried. Serve immediately.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Susan Whetzel @doughmesstic.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: sues :: M S :: Michele B :: hiljon1 :: Katrina :: Marvin :: Tanya C :: Whitney G :: rev Marvin Cal Holmes :: Jo D :: christinawallace :: Kmiller :: Melissa G :: nettie :: Denise P :: web22 :: Foodie :: kim b :: Majid a :: Alita A