- 1 cup, divided Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, divided
- 3 apricots, peeled and sliced into 1/2
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare 8 inch round baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter with half of brown sugar. Mix well, then pour into prepared baking pan. Top neatly with sliced apricots.
- In bowl of a stand mixer, cream the remaining 12 tablespoons of butter, remaining brown sugar and white for 2-3 minutes or until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well between additions and scraping the bowl as needed. Add vanilla and mix once more.
- In a separate mixing bowl, sift flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder and salt. Add dry ingredients, alternating with buttermilk, starting and ending with dry ingredients. Pour batter over apricots and level batter.
- Bake for 45 - 50 minutes or until top appears done and sides begin to pull away from sides of pans. Remove from oven and allow to cool 15 - 20 minutes before turning cake out onto serving plate. Allow to cool before serving.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Susan Whetzel @doughmesstic.