- 2 ounces (1/3 cup) good quality semi sweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) almond paste
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, soft
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups macadamia nuts, unsalted (bulk bin at grocery store)
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chopped from bar or chips
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- For easiest removal from cake pans line 2 standard loaf pans with parchment paper on sides and bottom. Parchment will stick well to sides if first brushed with a little oil. Alternatively brush melted butter in pan and dust with flour. Set aside.
- Place chocolate and oil in a microwave oven proof bowl. If in bar form, cut first in small pieces and set aside.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda and then sift together, set aside.
- Place almond paste in a mixing bowl of a stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment mix on medium speed. Add sugar and mix for a few minutes, the mixture will not become smooth but the almond paste will turn into smaller pieces.
- Add only one fourth of butter to almond paste mixture and let it mix for 3 minutes on medium-high speed. Scrape bowl well. Add another fourth of butter and again let mix for 3 minutes until it becomes a smooth lump free mixture. Scrape bowl. Do not continue adding butter unless all almond paste lumps are gone. Repeat with one fourth increments until butter is all used.
- Add one egg at a time waiting for previous egg to be fully incorporated and scarping in between additions. While mixer is running melt chocolate in microwave oven in ten second increments. Stir in between heating. Do not let chocolate get too hot, it does not have to be very fluid, just melted.
- When eggs are all incorporated add vanilla, salt and melted chocolate and mix to combine.
- Add one third of sifted dry ingredients and mix to combine on low speed. Add half of buttermilk and mix to combine. Add another third of sifted ingredients and mix to combine, add remaining buttermilk and when combined add remaining dry ingredients.
- Add macadamia nuts and chocolate chips. Scrape into 2 loaf pans and place in oven.
- Bake until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger, or an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 43-45 minutes. This cake will not dome as a standard pound cake.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes before lifting out the pan.