- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup melted butter
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 cups cold water
- 3 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 cups cold heavy whipping cream
- 1 package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9x13 inch cake pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add melted butter, vinegar and water. Mix until just blended. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Serve cooled cake with a dusting of powdered sugar, or prepare chocolate whipped cream frosting.
- To make chocolate whipped cream frosting, add cream, pudding and vanilla to a bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until thick and fluffy. Spread over cooled cake. Garnish with chocolate sprinkles and fresh strawberries, if desired.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
NOTE: The term “preacher’s cake” comes from the idea that you need something quick to serve to the preacher if he is coming around to your home for a visit. A quick and guest-worthy dessert that you can make from ingredients already in your pantry. This chocolate cake can be mixed in one bowl with nothing more than a wooden spoon. It is also made without eggs, so it is a great recipe to serve for guests with an egg allergy.