- 3 cups cake flour*
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, very soft
- 3 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons Matcha, green tea powder
- 1/4 cup honey (honeysuckle or regular)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 lemon, no white bitter pith
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour (use all-purpose flour) a 9- or 10-inch tube pan and set aside.
- Sift cake flour and set aside.
- In a stand or hand held mixer using paddle attachment, mix butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and mix well.
- Add 1 egg at a time waiting for the previous added egg to be fully incorporated and mixture regains a smooth homogenous look.
- Add vanilla, salt and almond extract.
- Alternately add flour and heavy cream in 5 steps, starting with and ending with flour.
- Scrape 1/2 of batter into a new bowl. Sift and add Matcha and stir together until well mixed.
- Scrape part of plain batter into prepared pan and follow with some Matcha flavored batter. Repeat process a few times until all is used.
- Place in oven. After 15 minutes in oven reduce temperature to 325°F.
- Bake until the center of the cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before turning upside down on a serving platter.
- In a saucepan heat honey and water and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add vanilla and lemon zest. Spoon or brush while hot onto warm cake.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
NOTE: A moist pound cake starts with using room temperature ingredients. Using cake flour will result in a more tender cake as well.