- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 1/3 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- Handful of coconut flakes and pecan halves for decoration
- 1/2 recipe Cream Cheese Frosting
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and baking soda and set aside.
- Line a jelly roll pan (12.5 x 17.5 inches) with parchment paper and set aside.
- Using a stand or hand held mixer using paddle attachment, mix soft butter and sugar. Add one egg yolk at a time waiting for previous added yolk to be fully incorporated.
- Scrape bowl well. Add vanilla extract. Add 1/3 of dry ingredients and once combined add 1/2 of buttermilk. Add another 1/3 of dry ingredients and once combined add remaining buttermilk. Add left over dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Add coconut flakes and pecan pieces.
- In a separate bowl whip egg whites until medium stiff. Add to above and fold gently until combined.
- Scrape batter onto prepared jelly roll pan and spread as evenly as possible.
- Place in oven and bake until the center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed and until cake retracts from the sides in a few areas. Set aside.
- Meanwhile prepare cream cheese icing.
- Turn cake upside down onto a kitchen towel or parchment paper. Remove jelly roll, do not remove parchment paper yet.
- Cut cake sheet with a serrated knife crosswise in half. Using both hands transfer cake onto on a serving tray with parchment still on top. Peel off parchment paper. Spread half of cream cheese frosting on the cake layer.
- Transfer other cake half on top and peel off parchment. Spread a coat of cream cheese frosting on the surface retaining some for decoration (optional).
- For perfect cuts (as shown in picture) refrigerate cake for several hours prior to cutting.
- Cut in small bites and pipe a small dollop of cream cheese frosting on top. Decorate with regular or toasted coconut flakes or pecan halves.