- 2 + 2/3 cups all-purpose flour*
- Crème Chantilly
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 ounces semi sweet chocolate
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, soft
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 eggs separated (4 yolks + 4 egg whites, free of egg yolk traces)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups (16 ounces) heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee
- 2 + 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour three 8- or 9-inch cake pans. For foolproof removal circles of parchment paper on bottom of pans and treat with butter and flour. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Bring water to a boil and remove from heat. Add chocolate (if in large piece chop into chip size pieces first) and whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- In a bowl beat soft butter, salt, vanilla extract and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks one at a time waiting for the previous egg yolk to be fully incorporated. Add melted chocolate.
- Alternately add flour and buttermilk in 3 increments, starting with flour.
- In a separate bowl, whip egg whites to firm peaks, gently fold egg whites in 3 increments into batter. Fold until egg whites are just incorporated. Do not overmix to ensure an airy batter.
- Divide batter evenly between the pans and place in the oven. Bake until the center of the cakes bounce back when lightly pressed or when an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- Allow cakes to cool for 10 minutes and then turn upside down onto paper towels or parchment lined cookie sheets. Allow to completely cool, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare caramel by combining brown sugar, heavy cream, butter, salt and vanilla extract in a saucepan bring it to a boil for 3-4 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare coffee flavored cream by whipping 1 1/3 cup of heavy cream with 6 tablespoons sugar, 3 tablespoons instant coffee and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract. Whip until cream forms medium-almost firm peaks.
- Place a cake layer on a serving platter and spread half of coffee cream over the layer.
- Place the second layer on the first and cover with remaining coffee cream. Place third cake layer on top.
- Whip 2/3 of heavy cream with 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract to firm peaks.
- Using a pastry bag fitted with a medium sized plain pastry tip pipe dollops of cream Chantilly onto the surface, or alternatively spread cream Chantilly evenly on top.
- With a small pastry tip pipe dollops of caramel on surface and sprinkle with cocoa powder.