- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 cup + 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups egg whites (from 10-12 large eggs), no yolk traces
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons fine grated lemon zest, no white bitter pith
- Lemon Curd
- Fruit of choice
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Set aside an angel food cake pan; do not grease pan.
- Sift together flour and first listed 3/4 cup sugar and set aside.
- In a large bowl whip on medium speed, egg whites, second 3/4 cup sugar, cream of tartar, vanilla extract and salt. Whip to medium peaks and make sure not to whip egg whites to stiff peaks! Stop whipping.
- Add lemon zest and flour/sugar mixture and using a spatula, gently fold ingredients to retain a light fluffy batter.
- Scoop into angel food cake pan.
- Place in a 350°F oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger. The cake will initially rise and near the end of baking start the shrink slightly.
- Turn the pan upside down and allow to cool.
- Run a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen cake and place on a serving platter.
- Prepare lemon curd and spread on surface.
- Decorate and serve with your favorite fruit.