- 4 shots espresso or 2 teaspoons instant coffee +1/4 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup dried tart cherries
- 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temp
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 3 tablespoons sour cream or plain yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 13 x 9 casserole pan with parchment paper and spray walls with nonstick oil.
- Hydrate cherries: Make coffee and pour into a small sauce pan. Add dried cherries and 2 tablespoons brown sugar. Put over heat and bring to a gentle boil. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Make Batter: Blitz butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar, sour cream (or yogurt), eggs and vanilla in a food processor. Then add flour, baking soda and powder. Blitz until just incorporated.
- Disconnect bowl from food processor. Gently, stir cherries and chocolate chips into batter by hand. Spoon into the pan and smooth the top. Bake 30 minutes, until you can smell the cake and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool thoroughly.
- Make Glaze: Put about a tablespoon of butter in a small pot and heat to a bubble. When it changes to a golden brown colour and smells toasty, remove from heat. Add maple syrup and confectioner's sugar. Stir until thick and smooth. Drizzle glaze over cooled cake and allow it to set (~5 minutes).
This Mocha Cherry Cake with Maple Butter Glaze recipe has been submitted by one of our Imperial Sugar friends and has not been tested in our kitchen. If you have any problems with this recipe, or would like to give us your feedback, please email us by clicking here.