- 2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour*
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup butter, salted
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup butter, salted
- 1 pound Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 13 x 18-inch jellyroll pan and set aside.
- Whisk flour, sugar, and salt together. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Add boiling water to melted butter; let boil for 30 seconds. Pour over flour mixture, stirring to mix thoroughly.
- In another bowl, whisk buttermilk, eggs, baking soda, and vanilla. Add this into butter/flour mixture, stirring until combined.
- Pour evenly into prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, make icing.
- Toast pecans in a skillet over medium-low heat until fragrant. Remove pecans from pan and set aside.
- Melt butter in same pan. Remove from heat and stir in sifted powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla until smooth.
- Once mixture is smooth, stir in toasted pecans.
- Remove the cake from oven and pour icing over hot cake, working quickly to smooth evenly. Cut into large squares and serve.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
Recipe developed by Bridget Edwards of @Bake at 350.