- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 container (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 8 pouches (2 cups) Imperial Sugar Redi-Measure Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour three 9 inch baking pans, set aside.
- Cream butter until creamy, add sugar and cream further. Add eggs one at a time waiting for previous added egg to be fully incorporated after mixed. Scrape in between additions. Cream until light and fluffy. Add vanilla extract.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Add 1/4 of flour mixture and combine, add a 1/3 of sour cream and combine. Repeat with flour mixture and sour cream until all is incorporated.
- Divide batter evenly into prepared pans and place in oven. Bake for approximately 40 to 45 minutes or until center bounces back when gently pressed or an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let sit 10 minutes before removing from pan. Let cool.
- For frosting bring to a boil butter, brown sugar and evaporated milk while constantly stirring. Boil for 2 minutes and remove from heat. Let sit covered for 5 minutes. Add powdered sugar and vanilla and whip to a smooth icing.
- Frost cake and if desired decorate with chocolate shavings obtained by first placing a chocolate bar for 2 hours in a warm room. Then using a grater or vegetable peeler to make large chocolate curls.