- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 + 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour*
- 3 squares (3 ounces) unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, plus an additional 1/4 cup for sprinkling
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare muffin tins with baking spray or line with paper muffin liners. Set aside.
- Break up or chop chocolate into small pieces. Place pieces in a good size mixing bowl with butter. Pour in boiling water and let stand until melted. Mix in vanilla and sugar. Whisk in egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl or measuring cup, mix together baking soda and sour cream. Add to batter and whisk in. Sift the flour into batter. Mix well.
- Beat egg whites until stiff (but not dry). Fold them gently but thoroughly into batter.
- Fill muffin tins approximately 2/3 full. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on top.
- Bake 18 - 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes on wire racks.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
Also known as chocolate chocolate muffins or cupcakes. This recipe has sour cream in it, making it so moist that you won’t need icing.