- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder, use extra dark if a deep rich chocolate cake is desired
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups room temperature water
- 1 cup oil, such as grape seed oil
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups or 1 pound Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 8 tablespoons cocoa powder (preferably dark type)
- 1 stick butter, soft
- 6 tablespoons half-half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare two 9-inch baking pans with baking spray or butter and flour. For easy removal, line bottoms of pan with parchment or wax paper. Set aside.
- Sift together sugar, flour, cacao powder, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In a bowl whisk together water, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Add sifted ingredients to bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Divide evenly into pans and place in oven.
- Bake for approximately 30 to 35 minutes or until center of cake bounces back when gently pressed or an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cake sit 10 minutes. Place a serving dish on top of baking pan and quickly turn upside down. Let cool.
- For chocolate frosting, sift together powdered sugar and cocoa. Cream butter until fluffy. Add 1/4 of sifted ingredients and mix in well. Add one fourth of half and half and mix in well. Scrape bowl and repeat by adding another fourth of ingredients. Repeat and add vanilla and salt. Spread on cooled chocolate cake.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
This delicious and moist chocolate cake is free of eggs and it also does not contain trans fats!