- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted soft butter
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 6 large egg yolks + 6 large egg whites - separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, no white bitter pith
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Lemon Curd
- Lemon Butter Cream Frosting
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour three 8 or 9-inch cake pans and preferably line bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and mix further. Add eggs yolks one at a time waiting for previous added yolk to be fully incorporated. Scrape bowl often. Whip until mixture is light and fluffy. Add vanilla lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. In low speed, add dry ingredients alternately with milk.
- In a separate bowl whip egg whites until stiff. Gently fold into batter.
- Divide batter evenly into the prepared pans. Place in oven and bake until center of cakes bounce back when lightly pressed with a finger or a tooth pick comes out clean. About 35 minutes. Let sit in pan for 15 minutes before removing. Let cool.
- Prepare Lemon Curd Filling. Let cool in refrigerator.
- Prepare Lemon Butter Frosting. Fill cake layers with cooled lemon curd and frost top and sides of cake.