- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups milk
Buttercream Pecan Frosting
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 6 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or milk
- 1 tablespoon + teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups chopped pecans
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour three 9-inch round baking pans, set aside.
- Beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Add sugars; beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time; beating well after each addition. Add vanilla extract; mix well.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add one fourth of flour and combine, and then add a third of milk and combine. Repeat with flour and milk until all is incorporated.
- Divide batter evenly into prepared pans and place in oven. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until center bounces back when gently pressed or a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before removing from pan. Let cool on wire rack.
- For frosting: Cream butter until light and fluffy with an electric mixer. Add 1 cup of powdered sugar and beat until light and creamy. Gradually add remaining powdered sugar alternating with the cream. Beat until creamy. Add vanilla and salt; mix well. Stir in pecans.
- Spread frosting over cakes and if desired decorate with chocolate shavings obtained by first placing a chocolate bar for 2 hours in a warm room. Then using a grater or vegetable peeler make large chocolate curls.