Whole Wheat Snack Cake
Prep time :
Bake/Cook time :
One 9-inch cake
- 1 cup whole wheat flour, stone ground, if possible (spoon and sweep method*)
- 4 pouches (1 cup) Imperial Sugar Redi-Measure Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (spoon and sweep method*)
- 3/4 cup butter, chilled
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large baking apple (Rome or Granny Smith)
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans or almonds) (optional)
*Using spoon fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. (Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.)
- Place whole-wheat flour, brown sugar and all-purpose flour in a large mixing bowl and blend well.
- Cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Remove 1 cup and reserve for topping.
- Stir together baking powder, salt and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon into remaining mixture.
- In a separate bowl, lightly beat milk with egg and vanilla extract. Pour into dry mixture and stir, by hand, until just moistened.
- Grease a 9 inch, round, microwave-safe pie plate and fill with batter. Arrange peeled apple slices in a single, even layer over batter.
- To one cup of topping, add chopped nuts and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and sprinkle evenly over apple slices.
- Microwave uncovered, on medium heat setting for 9 minutes, rotating dish every three minutes. Cook on high in microwave for 3-5 minutes longer (rotating once), or until cake springs back when lightly pressed in its center and no uncooked batter remains on bottom of dish.
- Once done, allow cake to stand at room temperature for 5 minutes before serving.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: Carol R :: April M :: Tressa H :: Lori P :: evelyn l :: Alma M :: LieselN :: COncale :: marikoff :: Peggy M :: Irma M :: JANIS O :: Betty B :: michelle :: ss1973 :: Terri M :: Jane S :: Harold M :: Linda S :: Cherie M