Chocolate Covered Bacon Caramels
Prep time :
Bake/Cook time :
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) butter
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Candied bacon pieces, if desired
- Prepare an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper with the edges of the parchment hanging over two of the sides. This allows for easy removal of the caramels once cooled.
- In a heavy bottomed pot, such as enameled cast iron, combine all caramel topping ingredients save for the extract. Bring to a boil and stir until sugars are dissolved and the mixture is well combined. Using a candy thermometer, watch for the goal of about 230°F. Allow to boil at this temp for several minutes, until it begins to climb over 235°F. Stir continuously. Remove from heat and stir in the extract. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes and pour onto prepared parchment.
- Once chilled, cut into pieces. Melt chocolate and shortening in microwave at 30 second intervals until melted and smooth. Dip caramels into melted chocolate and cool on parchment paper. Top with candied bacon crumbles, if desired.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Susan Whetzel @doughmesstic.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: Janibles :: Becky :: Marsha :: Danon :: Pebbles E :: Shan :: Debbie S :: shabuben :: Tsmith :: hut :: DH :: Sharon :: Enresto G :: jennybump :: MsTaggs :: Mamm :: ChefMs :: Michelle D :: Beth :: Stephanie C