- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 2 boxes (1-lb each) Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2/3 cup Bourbon
- 2 cups mix of pecans and walnuts, finely chopped
- 16 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- In a stand mixer using a paddle attachment cream butter, alternately adding sugar and bourbon. Once the mixture resembles frosting, add nuts and mix for an additional 30 seconds. Chill in refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- Using a medium cookie scoop drop on cookie sheet and chill until firm (at least 12 hours).
- Melt chocolate over boiling water or in a microwave safe dish. Dip balls to cover. Place back in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes until chocolate hardens.
- Optional: Wrap individually in foil and pack in doily-lined tin. Keep in refrigerator.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
Susan McKenzie Lynah remembers: "A Christmas memory that is near and dear to me is one that involved my grandmother. Grandmama, with her glorious, jovial personality, was a true-blue teetotaler. But when Christmas rolled around, a bottle of bourbon would miraculously appear for the making of her precious Kentucky Colonels. The recipe was a well-guarded secret and had been given to her by one of the Clays from Kentucky. After much cajoling, she eventually shared it with me. I, in turn and with pleasure, share it with you."