Prep time :
25 - 50 pieces depending on size
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons corn starch
- 2/3 cup white corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: 3-5 drops food coloring of choice
- Prepare a baking pan by generously buttering surface. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together sugar, corn starch and corn syrup. Cook over medium heat, stirring occassionally until mixture boils.
- Add butter and salt. Let mixture boil over a low heat until it reaches the hard ball stage (254°F).
- Remove saucepan from heat and add vanilla and food coloring.
- Pour onto prepared baking pan and let taffy cool slightly. As soon as taffy is cool enough to touch, carefully pick it up by handfuls and pull. To keep taffy from sticking to your hands, grease hands well with butter or margarine. Pull taffy into a rope, fold it onto itself, twist and then pull again. Repeat until taffy is firm enough to hold its shape. (Approximately 15 minutes.)
- Stretch into ropes and cut into pieces with greased scissors. Wrap taffy in wax paper or parchment paper and twist ends. Store in an airtight container.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
This recipe originally appeared in the 1954 Teena in the Kitchen Cookbook, page 16.
- As you pull the taffy, the color will become lighter; so take this into consideration when adding food coloring during step 4.
- To flavor taffy, replace vanilla with 1/2 teaspoon of candy flavoring of choice.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: ChefPaul :: castellanoswalki :: Charlette :: sarge :: Jill H :: D'Ann V :: MistyMcGrew :: joana :: Kyle W Henderson :: Mary :: sandy :: Kimmie :: MeghanM :: Barb :: Michelle :: martin miller :: peggy finley :: Missy :: Radwa Hafez :: Chianti Abner