Southern France Style Divinity
Prep time :
- Scatter nuts and dried fruits on a cookie sheet and place in a 200°F oven.
- Set aside a silicone baking mat or a lightly oiled non stick cookie sheet.
- Meanwhile in a medium saucepan bring first listed sugar and water to a boil. Once boiling place a lid on the pan for 3 minutes and then remove. The lid will trap steam which in turn will run down the sides and take down any sugar crystals stuck to the side of the pan. This is a very important step to prevent the sugar mixture from turning grainy and crystallizing during the boiling process.
- Cook on high heat but if working on gas make sure that flames do not go up the sides. Absolutely do not stir in the pan as this will make the syrup grainy!
- When the syrup has reached 305°F pour honey into boiling syrup and boil to 310°F.
- Meanwhile whip egg whites, remaining sugar and vanilla in a stand mixer on medium-high speed just until soft peaks form.
- Remove 310°F syrup from heat. Engage mixer in high speed. Pour syrup into whipping egg whites but pour it along the inner wall of the bowl instead of pouring it towards the middle of the bowl or onto the whisk attachment.
- At first the mixture will be runny but will thicken and become thick meringue after about 4- minutes.
- While still very warm-hot, stop the mixer and remove whisk attachment. Add heated nut and fruits and mix in using a firm spatula.
- Drop immediately onto silicone baking mat or lightly oiled non stick cookie sheet.
- Once cooled cut in pieces and store airtight.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
- Do not attempt without a candy thermometer or a stand mixer as the temperature of the honey and sugar is vital to the chemistry of the confection. A hand mixer will not have enough power.
- The syrup is boiled to a very high temperature and therefore for safety sake it is very important not to have children or pets underfoot. Please read entire recipe before starting.
- Recipe works best on low humidity days.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: Chef Dugg :: Autumn Jojola :: bamatbone :: ocfooddiva :: the wife :: kathy n :: Robin :: JBock :: Ashley :: mark B :: Mary :: MYA :: mlimholt :: Edith D :: liz :: Robin H :: Rick O :: PJH :: Jaime :: tammy