Praline Pumpkin Cheesecake
Prep time :
Bake/Cook time :
1:45 to 2:00
9-inch cake serving 8 - 10
- 2 cups crushed gingersnaps
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) melted butter
Pumpkin Cheesecake Filling
- 3 packages (8 ounces) cream cheese, soft at room temperature
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid pack pumpkin; not pumpkin pie filling
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup firmly packed Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- To make cheesecake crust, use a rolling pin or food processor and crush gingersnaps to obtain 2 cups. Add melted butter and combine well. Press onto bottom of a 9-inch diameter spring form pan and place in oven for 9 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, place pan on 3 layers of aluminum foil and wrap outside of pan with foil. Ensure that no water could penetrate through foil. Place pan in a roasting pan and set aside.
- To make pumpkin cheesecake, beat soft cream cheese and both sugars on low speed until well blended with no lumps. Scrape bowl well.
- Add one egg at a time waiting for previous added amount to be fully incorporated. Scrape bowl and beater well in between additions.
- Add pumpkin, spices and vanilla and mix to combine - do not beat, just mix by hand. (Don’t overbeat cream cheese mixture.) Pour into cake pan over ginger crust. Pour water into roasting pan, about an inch high, and place in oven.
- Bake pumpkin cheesecake until center of cake no longer trembles, about 1 hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours. You could also try baking for 1 hour and 45 minutes, turning oven off, then opening oven door and letting cheesecake cool off and continue baking at same time from residual heat.
- Pull roaster out of oven and pull out your cheesecake. Allow cheesecake to cool on a rack at room temperature for 30-60 minutes. Place in refrigerator overnight. Bring your cake out of refrigerator about an hour before serving to bring it to room temperature. Remove outside of springform pan.
- Make praline topping before serving to your guests for best results. Begin by toasting pecans for 8 minutes in a 350°F oven if desired.
- In a saucepan, bring all ingredients to a boil excluding pecans. Boil for 3 minutes ensuring that mixture will not boil over. Remove from heat and stir in pecans.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes and spread on surface of cake.
- Run a sharp knife around edge and bottom of cheesecake in pan to remove from pan. Use a sharp knife to cut as desired.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
Helpful hints for this Praline Pumpkin Cheesecake Recipe:
- Drain pumpkin on paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- Just to be safe butter inside of your springform pan completely.
- Use a good no-leak springform pan (we recommend a Kaiser Bakeware LaForme Plus 9 inch springform pan).
- Use Heavy Duty aluminum foil underneath pan, just in case.
- For those with nut allergies who need a substitute for the pecans, saute green apples in brown sugar and drizzle over pumpkin cheesecake.
- It’s best to use a standing mixer vs. a hand-held mixer. The cream cheese can be a little hard to handle with a hand mixer, while attempting to add additional ingredients and crack open eggs.
- Watch Chef Eddy prepare this recipe in this How to Bake video.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: Edward :: Monica H :: K :: Carol G :: Ms. H :: jmansker :: cheri brown :: ChefSandiRae :: Bill T :: nonameever :: Terry J :: bev :: Dee B :: Penny T :: Heidi W :: Darlene T :: Lucy D :: Jeannine :: starlyn :: gmjward