Cool 30-60 minutes; refrigerate overnight
- 1 cup reduced fat graham crackers
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 packages (8 ounces each) 1/3 less fat Neufchâtel cream cheese, soft at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 egg whites
- Zest of 2 large lemons (no white bitter pith)
- 1 1/4 cups non fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or other orange liquor (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To make crust: Crush enough Graham crackers with a rolling pin to obtain 1 cup. Add melted butter and sugar and combine well. Press onto bottom of a 9-inch diameter spring form pan and place in oven for 10 minutes or golden. Reduce oven to 325°F.
- When springform pan is cool enough to handle place on 3 layers of aluminum foil and wrap outside of pan with foil. Ensure that no water could penetrate thru foil. Place in a roasting pan and set aside.
- This cheesecake can easily be made without use of a machine, just ensure that cheese is soft and at room temperature. If using a mixer only mix on lowest speed to prevent incorporation of air cells. (Air cells make cheesecake rise during baking and once removed from oven will make it fall)
- To make cheesecake: Beat soft cream cheese and sugar on low speed until well blended and no lumps remain. Scrape bowl well.
- Add one egg at a time waiting for previous added amount to be fully incorporated, scrape bowl and beater in between additions. Add egg whites and mix until well combined.
- Add lemon zest, Greek yogurt and Grand Marnier. Pour batter into springform pan.
- Pour water into roasting pan about an inch high and place in oven.
- Bake until center of cake no longer trembles when tapping sides of pan, about 2 hours.
- Allow to cool at room temperature for 30 - 60 minutes. Place in refrigerator overnight.
- Run a sharp knife around edge and bottom of cheesecake and cut into desired size.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
This cheesecake has everything a full fat version cheesecake has: a wonderful rich and creamy mouth feel and a delicious flavor which will satisfy even the most discerning palette. Greek yogurt is available in nearly every grocery store and is an essential ingredient. We do not recommend replacing it with other non-fat yogurt.