- 2 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon soda
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: Gel food coloring
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Sift flour, salt and soda together.
- Cream sugar, shortening, vanilla, almond flavoring, milk and egg. Mix the two mixtures thoroughly.
- Shape into a 3-inch roll, wrap roll in wax paper and chill for 15-20 minutes.
- Once firm, slice in 1/2-inch slices. On lightly floured pastry board, roll each slice and cut with animal-shaped cookie cutters.
- Bake 350° F about 8 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Prepare glaze by melting butter. Add powdered sugar, water and vanilla and whisk well. Add a few drops of gel food coloring to tint the glaze, if desired.
- Dip into vanilla glaze (or drizzle over the top) and top with sprinkles.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
Recipe from 1959 My First Cookbook