- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch nutmeg
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated apples (Granny Smith or Golden Delicious)
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cinnamon for sprinkling
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Fit two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer mix butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Scrape bowl well.
- Add dry sifted ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Peel and core apples and grate on large eyes of grater. Mix in apples.
- Scoop in 2 tablespoon amounts on cookie sheet and bake until light golden on edges, about 13-14 minutes. The center of the cookies will still appear slightly undone. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Prepare icing by whisking together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract. Drizzle onto cooled cookies and sprinkle with cinnamon.