- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts or peanuts)
- Jam of choice
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream butter and brown sugar.
- Add egg yolk and beat until light. Blend in flour, vanilla and salt.
- Form dough into walnut-size rounds. Dip in slightly beaten egg white, then roll in chopped nuts.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet and make a depression in the center of each cookie.
- Bake 8 minutes. Remove cookies from oven and carefully press centers down again.
- Return to oven and bake for another 10 minutes. Let cool 10-20 minutes, and then fill center with your favorite jam.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
Recipe from the Romantic Recipes of the Old South and the Great Southwest Cookbook and updated by Brandi Evans@BranAppetit!