Chill for 30 minutes
- 1 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 cup almond meal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- For dusting Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 8 ounces cherry preserves
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In a stand mixer, whip butter and sugars until combined. Beat in egg, vanilla extract, and water until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, almond meal, and salt. With a large spatula, fold in flour mixture, stirring only until combined (do not overmix).
- Separate dough in half and pound into 6 inch disks. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (or up to 24 hours).
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Remove dough from fridge and allow to come to room temperature. Once ready, place dough between two sheets of plastic wrap and use a rolling pin to roll dough out to 1/4-inch thick.
- Use a 3-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter to make 32 hearts, then place onto baking sheets. Use a 1-inch heart-shaped cutter to cut out the center of 16 cookies.
- Bake each tray on its own for 8 minutes, so cookies are still slightly soft to the touch and are just beginning to turn golden brown. Allow to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Dust center-cut cookies with powdered sugar. Place a rounded teaspoon of cherry preserves onto the underside of a full heart cookie and then sandwich with the powdered-sugar cookie. Repeat with remaining cookies.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Sarah Fennel @BromaBakery.