Chill for 30 minutes
- 3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
- 1/4 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon Dutch-process cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 teaspoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioner’s sugar together until fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In three additions, add in the flour on low speed.
- Divide dough in half. To one half, mix in melted chocolate, espresso powder and cocoa. To other half, mix in orange extract, zest and juice. Wrap each half in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll each half of dough on separate sheets of lightly floured waxed paper to rectangles 1/8" thick. Whisk egg white and water with a fork. Lightly brush top of one of the rolled dough halves with egg wash. Invert the other half of dough on top of egg washed dough; peel off top waxed paper.
- Roll dough from the long end to form a log. Wrap in waxed paper and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove dough from the freezer and with a sharp knife, slice crosswise into 1/4" thick rounds. Place on parchment-lined cookie sheets and bake for 10 minutes. Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely. (Place remaining dough back in the freezer between batches.)
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Bridget Edwards @Bake at 350.