Refrigerate for 30 minutes
Freeze for 20 minutes
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour*
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup lightly packed Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup whole milk
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla until well combined. On low speed, beat in cornstarch and flour. Continue mixing until dough starts to clump together.
- Place dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until it comes together. Form into a disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium heat and lightly toast pecans. Let cool. Toss pecans with brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside. Whisk together egg white and water
- On a floured piece of waxed paper, roll out chilled dough into a 9x12” rectangle. Brush on egg wash. Scatter brown sugar mixture evenly over the top. Press lightly.
- Starting with one long end, roll dough into a log, using waxed paper as a guide. Wrap in waxed paper and freeze for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Use a sharp knife, or a piece of unwaxed dental floss, slice the log into 1/2"-3/4” wide slices. Place flat onto cookie sheets. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Make the glaze: With an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until fluffy. On low speed add sugar, vanilla and milk. Beat until combined, then increase the speed to medium and mix until smooth. Add more milk or sugar to adjust the thickness.
- Drizzle glaze over the cooled cookies. Glaze will harden upon standing.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Bridget Edwards @Bake at 350.