- 1 3/4 cups flour*
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- candy eyes
- Basic Butter Cream Frosting
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add egg, milk, and vanilla. Slowly add dry ingredients.
- Drop batter by heaping tablespoon onto the prepared baking sheets, 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. The cookies will be set, but still soft. Cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- After cookies have cooled, spread buttercream icing on one cookie and top with another cookie to make a “sandwich”.
- Spoon buttercream frosting in a pastry bag and use a star tip to adhere the two candy eyes.