- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles
Cake Batter Frosting
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup dry vanilla cake mix
- 2 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- a few drops pink food coloring
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add egg and vanilla extract. Slowly add flour mixture, beating until well combined. Fold in 1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles.
- Roll 2 heaping tablespoons of dough into a ball. Using the bottom of a glass, lightly press and flatten cookie into a thick disk.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the edges look set. The centers will still look soft, but they will firm up while cooling. Remove from oven and let cool completely on baking sheet.
- In a stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat butter until creamy. Add vanilla cake mix, powered sugar, vanilla extract and food coloring, beating until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Using a piping bag with star piping tip, pipe frosting around the edges of the cookie.
- Sprinkle with additional sprinkles if desired. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.