- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
- In bowl of a stand mixer, cream softened butter with brown sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add molasses, egg and vanilla. Beat well, scraping down sides as needed.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet on low speed, in 2 to 3 additions. Cover mixed dough and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
- To make filling, beat all ingredients until smooth and creamy. Keep chilled until 30 minutes before ready to pipe or spread.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until edges are start to turn brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Pipe filling into each set of two. Keep stored in air-tight container.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Susan Whetzel @doughmesstic.