Prep time :
Bake/Cook time :
0:13 to 0:15
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 1/4 cup hazelnuts or pieces, raw or toasted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, soft
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons orange zest, no white bitter pith
- 1 jar red fruit jam of choice or Lemon Curd
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- If using raw hazelnuts toast them first by placing them on a cookie sheet in a preheated oven for 13-14 minutes. Let cool.
- Place 1/2 of measured all-purpose flour along with hazelnuts in a food processor and mix until hazelnuts are fine as meal. Add remaining flour, baking powder, and cinnamon and set aside.
- Mix butter until light and fluffy, add sugar followed by egg, salt, and orange zest. Mix until light and well combined.
- Add dry ingredients and mix very briefly until just combined.
- Press flat onto a plastic food film lined cookie sheet and place in the freezer until firm, about 30 minutes.
- This dough can be a challenge to roll since it easily sticks, however rolling lightly floured dough between 2 sheets of thick plastic (use food storage bags) works great.
- Roll chilled dough 1/8-inch thick. If it gets too soft, keep it between plastic sheets and freeze it a little longer. Cut into rounds about 1 1/4-inch wide and place on parchment lined cookie sheets. Cut 1/2 of the circles with a second cutter to obtain a ring shape, and then place on the circle.
- Bake until light golden, about 13-15 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Fill with lemon curd or good quality jam of choice. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: cindy halverson :: Arline Taylor :: CHRIS :: rebekah :: GTuritto :: Shannon Peats :: lmaloy83 :: Brown sugar :: Linda H :: Jenny :: wanda m :: cooking0720 :: Jenny beth P :: Allison P :: Latoya S :: karrie irwin :: waitsee1 :: Adela H :: heather s :: Kristina