Chill for 1 hour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 teaspoons canela or ground cinnamon
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In a stand mixer cream butter, 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Slowly add flour, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and salt and mix just until incorporated. Shape dough into ball and cover with plastic wrap; chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Shape dough into 1 inch balls and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until cookies are firm to the touch. While cookies bake combine 1 cup powdered sugar and remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon; set aside. Cool cookies completely and dust with sugar/cinnamon mixture.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
NOTE: These cookies are traditionally served at weddings, enjoyed throughout the holiday season and made for Las Posadas the nine day Mexican celebration which reenacts Mary and Joseph searching for shelter in Bethlehem.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Vianney Rodriguez @sweetlifebake.com.