Prep time :
Bake/Cook time :
24 - 36 cookies
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple food coloring
- Preheat oven to 175°F.
- Line large baking sheet with parchment paper or baking mat.
- In bowl of stand mixer, mix together egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar. Mix for 10 minutes on low.
- While sugar mixture is mixing, fill a medium saucepan with 2-inches of water.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Place mixing bowl on top of saucepan.
- Slowly hand whisk mixture until sugar dissolves, about 10 minutes.
- Once sugar is dissolved, return mixing bowl to the stand mixer.
- Mix on high until stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Separate meringue into 7 bowls. You will need more red, orange, and yellow than green, blue and purple.
- Use the food coloring to dye each bowl one of the colors, leaving one bowl white.
- Fill seven piping bags (or Ziploc bags with one of the ends cut off) with each meringue color.
- Pipe rainbows onto baking sheet, starting with a red arch, then orange, yellow, green blue and purple.
- Finish rainbows by piping white clouds onto the bottoms.
- Bake for 1 hour and 45 minutes.Meringues should be crisp and stiff to the touch when done.
- Turn off oven and crack open oven door. Let cookies cool in oven 30 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Angie Barrett @BigBearsWife.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: sandra moore :: rj g :: Roita B :: Alex B :: Patricia W :: pat w :: Susan :: Buttonnose :: alena909 :: Anita :: Ina H :: Sharon :: missmj :: Stephanie T :: Sabine :: Debby :: Harold G :: amandaw :: Judy R :: G ARE